My Windows environment, 2018 edition

I think I’ve found a workable solution for Unicode support from a Windows command line. I’ve made various posts about editing tools in this blog but I hadn’t found one satisfactory. Sinan Ünür and I took another wack at configuring something to handle Unicode (mostly to support my work on Learning Perl 6) and I think we have something that works. Continue reading “My Windows environment, 2018 edition”

The M+ console font

Sinan Ünür sent me a screenshot of his use of the console font M+. He uses ConEmu, one of the tabbed console programs I showed in Windows Command Shells. It has the same failings that they all do since they all use the same underpinnings, but it’s other features are nice. He’s talked about some of his struggles: Continue reading “The M+ console font”

Dealing with code pages

A code page is the mapping of values to characters, and something you have to think about if you’re dealing with some Windows things. The Command Prompt and filenames, deal with particular code pages. There’s an input code page, which handles what our programs get, and there’s the output code page, which interprets our output to display or store it. Continue reading “Dealing with code pages”